Apr 10, 2013

Designing a Dream - Fashion Series

Fashion lovers!  I'm thrilled to give you a front row seat to one of Hollywood's emerging design hot spots.  Never dreamed of gracing the red carpet in a designer dress? Or, like me, live in yoga pants and flip flops?  No problem - anyone can appreciate this art.

The LA Times recently named Babette's newest store one of the LA's best places to shop.  The brand is known for its novelty fabrics and pleats.

Part 1 Babette's creative director, Josephine Tchang, tells how she went from working with IV needles to sewing needles.
Babette (2nd from left rear) and Josephine (2nd from rt rear) and the team
Shay:  How did you get started in fashion?

Josephine:  Before I went into design, my dream was to be a nurse.  My mom had a fashion school so I started helping her teach when I was 12 or 13 but I never wanted to get into the fashion world.

I went to nursing school and realized it wasn't my cup of tea.  A graphic artist friend said, "You have a good eye for putting things together. Why don't you try fashion design?" So I took some classes and absolutely loved it.

I got a job as Babette's assistant 21 years ago.  We had 3-4 employees so I got to do everything - from designing to learning the technical aspects of making a garment fit. I moved to go to New York's Fashion Institute of Technology and after I graduated, Babette called and said, "Come back." I've been designing ever since.

Shay:  I'm sure you get asked all the time where your inspiration comes from.

Josephine:  I'm very sensitive to textures and colors.  Babette and I travel to Paris twice a year and we're also art lovers. Inspiration comes from paintings, structures, architecture. Looking at the water or a sunset can give me ideas for a color story.  Fabric is an inspiration - I have to envision how to transform it into a garment.

One time I saw a roll of paper on the floor that had been stepped on and was folded in an origami way. I thought, "this is great texture for a new pleat." I tried it and it worked so inspiration can come from anywhere.

where it all starts - the pleating pattern
Shay:  What's your biggest design challenge?

Josephine:  Knowing when to stop.  When you design something, it's just like a painting - sometimes you over paint.  I try to make every collection different for my customer who already has a closet full of Babette. I need to pay attention to trends but I also have to ask, "Where is my customer going to wear this?"  All that can be challenging.

Shay:  How do you keep your designs fresh?

Josephine:  I try not to design for myself but for my customer. She doesn't want to buy just anything at the mall - she wants something unique.  She has a busy lifestyle, she travels. We capture that niche and design for that woman.  


When women try on Babette clothes for the first time, they fall in love. You don't have to work hard to look fabulous in our clothes; you feel beautiful and comfortable at the same time.  A lot of labor and love goes into each garment and every piece is made in the U.S. so that all adds up to create a great product.

---
To read part 2 of 'Designing a Dream', click here.

FACEBOOK GIVEAWAY!

Josephine has designed a one-of-a kind Babette scarf for a lucky fan!  To enter, simply like my new Facebook page and share that day's post.  Sorry this drawing is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment