Oct 7, 2009

Now You're in Love...Next!

Just finished a "go-see" (modeling audition) for a bank ad campaign. Nice gig that pays well if I book it.

I was supposed to audition alone but the photographer needed someone to partner with a male who might be cast.  Smart-looking, thin Asian guy, late 20s/early 30s. I was waiting for my audition so voila: petite black woman meet skinny Asian guy. 

"Oh," says the casting director, "you're in love."

First we had to pose in an embrace.  Awkward. We'd just met 30-seconds earlier.  But he was sweet and I liked him better than some of my real-life first dates. So we wrapped our arms around each other and smiled like we'd just had the best honeymoon sex ever.

Ms. Casting Director, however, felt we were stiff. "It's not a prom picture!"

Then she had us walk arm-in-arm, "Faster, faster!" she kept directing.  Not sure why; maybe we were supposed to be running back to the bridal suite?  

Amusing since my partner was about a foot taller than me even in heels.  I could barely match his stride without breaking into a horse trot.

The director seemed happy with our five minute audition, though. I've learned to let go of the outcome or the constant re-play in your head can drive you crazy.

Some actors hate auditioning but I don't mind not knowing what to expect in the room. I thrive on spontaneity, probably because of my breaking news background. Sure, I get nervous - especially on those days when LA traffic is snarled practically to Mexico and I'm anxious about getting to the casting studio. 

But those brief moments in the room help make the waiting and disappointment and hope deferred worth it. Next!

www.facebook.com/shayholland

No comments:

Post a Comment