Oct 15, 2009

Eye Candy

photo by Favim
Some people are born for Hollywood: perfect specimens of the human race. As I was reminded at a recent audition, I am not one of them.

A woman with a tape measure met us at the sign-in table. Actors usually just fill out a size card: height, weight, bust, hips, hat size. 

Sometimes there's a scale in the room but that's rare. We're trusted to give accurate measurements because if we book the role and the wardrobe doesn't fit, there might not be a payday.

The tape measure felt like a judge. Everyone knows curvy women are seldom cast as eye candy and here I was having a full-sized flashback.

When I first started working in TV news, I honestly thought viewers would care more about my storylines than my waistline. I didn't worry about my size; I cam
e out of the womb BIG, the largest of five kids.

I lost weight after receiving some pretty humiliating comments from viewers.

Then there's hair and skin bias. Chris Rock's new film Good Hair reveals the ugly truth:  cain't be sportin' no nappy tresses or dark chocolate skin on TV.

Right after moving to LA, I saw a casting notice for a newscaster role.  I wanted to audition but the director only wanted to see "light-skinned" blacks. I pitched myself anyway and booked the part (Showfax magazine ran my story in an article here: http://more.showfax.com/columns/avoice/archives/2007_08_27.html).

So maybe I don't have the assets Hollywood covets:  fair skin. size zero hips. blonde hair. I'm ok with the image in the mirror. Oh sure, the booty's smaller these days but what's more important is the knowledge I do have:  no tape measure defines your value.



www.facebook.com/shayholland

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if they do that for guys. What an interesting world we live in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are created by the Master artist. We are all cracked pots, yet loved perfectly ! If we loved ourselves as much as He did, the world would be a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly said, Beth. Why is it so dang hard to see ourselves from heaven's perspective instead of the world's false perspective?

    ReplyDelete