Jan 6, 2010

Katie, Come Home

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions but sometimes I make wishes.  This year I wish Katie would come home.

I started blogging because of Katie - her and others whose stories I've covered. I decided to record some of them in case I wanted to use the material to write a TV show about journalists.

Sometimes I feel like Haley Joel Osment's character in the The Sixth Sense. "I see dead people," the boy tells a shrink (Bruce Willis). While I don't actually see dead people, I can't forget names and faces, like Katie's.


Katie Eggleston, a recent college grad with surfer girl looks, was excited to start her first job at Allnet in Portland. It was the last day anyone saw her.

Police found Katie's car near the airport with her purse inside.  Investigators somehow concluded she'd run away with a lover.  I didn't get it - what 20-something woman runs off without her lipstick?


Katie's missing person's flyer
Still, cases grow cold quickly without solid leads. I kept in touch with Katie's parents as tips surfaced but eventually lost contact.

I recently found an old letter from Katie's parents. "We want to let you know how much we appreciate the straightforward reporting you did regarding Katie's disappearance," Katie's mom had written me about her missing child.

I knew I had to tell Katie's story again.  Maybe one day someone will come forward with a clue that sheds light on her disappearance.

A while ago Katie's friend posted a message in the paper in case she's alive: "Katie, it's okay, you can come home now."*

So that's my wish. Katie, come home.

*Bend Bugle, 5/4/2001 

www.facebook.com/shayholland

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7.1.10

    I echoe your sentiments today! Katie, come home. Thank you for sharing and inviting us to see the world through different lenses.

    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the encouragement, Mercedes! i can't imagine having a loved one just vanish without a trace. i never met Katie but for some reason always felt like i should have.

    ReplyDelete