Dec 28, 2009

See...

Zoe Saldana in "Avatar." 
Heading home from the midwest.  After the icestorm, blizzard and freezing temps, I can't wait to hit the beach! Even 2,000 miles away from Hollywood though, I couldn't escape its influence.

After being snowed in more than a day, we decided to venture out to the theater in my sister's SUV. I was outvoted on which movie to see. Avatar 3D: 5 votes; Princess & the Frog1 vote.

The sci-fi flick tells the story of a blue-skinned tribe whose planet is threatened by humans. It follows two characters' journey from enemies to lovers.

When they first meet, the Na'vi being calls the Avatar/human man foolish. "You don't see," she tells him.

As I sat in the theater adjusting my 3D glasses, I kept thinking about that line for some reason.

James Cameron, the director who brought Titanic to the big screen, started developing Avatar nearly 15 years ago. Cameron said he couldn't produce the movie until now because, "technology needed to catch up."

Fifteen years from conception to realization.

"I see you," the Na'vi woman and the Avatar whisper after falling in love.
Zoe Saldana. Photo:  Plastic Pals
So maybe that's the point - love sees. Sees the craftsman who carries a dream for years without quitting even though the tools don't yet exist to bring it to life. Sees the pioneer who embraces the unseen, believing one day there will be a finished product. Sees the artist who, though the vision tarries, waits for it.

As we left the theater I thought, "I, too, want to see."

www.facebook.com/shayholland

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11.1.10

    I want to see. I, too, want to see.

    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete