Jan 21, 2010

Hindrances to Haiti

"Search teams refuse to abandon hope after two children were pulled alive from the rubble." AFP

I write this post not knowing if I'll have to cancel my trip to Haiti in these hours just before take off. I'd had a sinking feeling when our departure was delayed several days that other deadlines could prevent me from going.

Honestly? I didn't want to go to Haiti when the head of Transformational Development Agency first asked me to help her team with media and logistics support. 


I'm not a doctor or a nurse or a rescue worker. I couldn't see myself working among dead bodies, surviving in horrendous conditions, facing machete-wielding mobs reported by some news outlets.

But as I saw the destruction and heard of friends' missing loved ones and wept at the suffering, I kept thinking about a quote I'd heard years ago by Dwight L. Moody. 


The world has yet to see what God can do with a life fully yielded to Him.

And so I said yes. Because maybe my life is that one.

My blog's title, Blot Your Lips!, was appropriate when I was writing about the journey to Hollywood - not Haiti. But as I've embraced what somehow feels like destiny, I've become filled with expectation.


Nehemiah rebuilt a wall that should have taken months or years in 52 days because God touched the work. Like the miraculous rescue of the children pulled from the rubble more than a week after the quake, maybe God will put his touch to Haiti.

So even though today brought obstacles to my trip my heart still says, "Yes."


www.facebook.com/shayholland

No comments:

Post a Comment