Nov 3, 2009

Red Carpets & Cattle Calls

Cattle call audition - about as far from the red carpet as talent can get in Hollywood. Wisegeek calls it, "an audition in which hundreds or even thousands of performers vie for roles. The chances of winning a major role through a cattle call are notoriously slim."

I stood in line with dozens of actors and models crammed into the poorly-ventilated waiting room for a shot at a national print campaign - and a big payday. 


Knowing most of us would get cut in the first round, waiting almost didn't seem worth the cost of the Sunset Boulevard parking garage.  

Some actors left rather than sit around for hours.

This is the first time I've experienced the LA cattle call. As I debated whether to stay or not, a word popped into my head: perseverance.

"Someone's going to book this gig," I thought, "Someone who perseveres."


So I pulled out my phone, clicked on Facebook and waited for my few seconds in front of the camera. Number 1104.

It's been said Hollywood kills far more dreams than it brings to life. I'm not so sure about that. I wonder if it's just that far more dreamers quit than persevere.

"Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go." 

~William Feather


www.facebook.com/shayholland

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5.11.09

    Good insight. Thousands move to Los Angeles every month with big dreams, and thousands leave every month with broken ones. An acting career is definately a marathon over a sprint, the question is how long can you keep running before you collapse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear "Lips"
    I'm rooting for you from here - and puh-lease [don't they say that in LA?] let us not confuse your "call" with this cattle thing! Every single one of us was made uniquely by God! No two are alike! Not even in LA, no matter how much surgery is available. The only one who can do surgery on our insides is God and it's FREE and is beauty that no human can create! SMILE.

    As for perseverance, here's another great quote for you: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance MUST finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. [how COOL is that?] If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded-man, unstable in all he does." [sounds like tough love from the Bible!] Press in! Press on! Keep your light shining in even the darkest hours of those tough calls.

    I feel some rejoicing coming ON!
    Love,
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first moved to LA, I met a Disney exec who asked me the same question "anonymous" posts, "how long can you keep running?" He helped me understand it most likely would be years & there's been a grace to keep running--even literally! I started running again after years of walking & found I could easily pound out 4-5 miles, shocking but felt divinely given as a sign to keep running the race. And as Joyce says, to run it with joy. Yes, Joyce, I feel you are right--rejoicing is coming ON!!

    ReplyDelete