Nov 23, 2009

Cops, Robbers and Bunnies

We all know God could have stopped Adam and Eve from eating the forbidden fruit. But He didn’t. Free will

Choice is a tricky thing; Adam and Eve missed their full potential because of it. I know I’m not the only one who can relate.

In second grade I wrote a story about a bunny that my teacher submitted to a publisher. I remember the principal and teacher waiting for me in the hall. I thought I was in trouble.

Instead, they said the publisher wanted to turn my story into a book. “They want you to write about what happens to the bunny after he goes in his hole,” my teacher said excitedly.

I froze. Pitch black darkness, that’s what happens. Maybe the bunny dies down there

“I don’t know what happens,” I said. Second grade and already paralyzed by the fear of failure.

Years later as a TV crime reporter, I’d graduated from writing about bunnies to writing about burglars and bank robbers. The networks soon came calling.

“We have a position for you,” said Joan at CBS New York. Instantly, I was back in second grade. 

Pitch black darkness. Maybe the bunny dies

“I just started my job," I said. It’s too cold there.” Lame excuses.

“You have to write about it,” my friend Maria urged, “It's relevant. Overcoming fear is part of the process." 

Deal with it, she insists, "because something big is coming for you. I can feel it.”

So maybe destiny is more grace than choice - offering courage to overcome fear. Destiny. Free will. Opportunity. This time I will say yes.

Oh, and what was the bunny doing in his hole?  Dancing, of course.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh...I'm all choked up and speechless. So proud of you! Your writing is getting better and better. If God would use me in whatever way He sees fit to fulfill your destiny, I'm there!

    ReplyDelete