Nov 17, 2009

Running Away

Maria Peterson Photography
Once when I was about seven years old, I ran away from home. Took my bike. And my little brother. Didn't occur to me we'd need food. or water. or money. 

I had found a place for us to live - an old, abandoned gym near our house. One of the windows was busted out and we could slip in through there. 

Didn't occur to me it was breaking and entering.

We made it to the building five blocks away before our older sister chased us down on her bike. "You're in big trouble," she declared triumphantly. 


The gig was up 30 minutes later.  

Funny thing is I really thought we'd be gone forever. Just me. My bike. And my little brother.

Lately I've felt like running away...one of those seasons where everything within is  screams for change. Movement. Breakthrough. 


Yet life feels confined. Limited. Stifled by lack of opportunity to fully engage the creative self.

Problem is when you're an adult, running away isn't nearly as simple as when you're seven and all you want is a bike and a companion. Adulthood complicates things. What about my apartment? My job? Where will I sleep? Is it really running away if the Facebook universe can find me?

So instead of running away, I wait for the vision to come to pass. Try not to despise the small beginnings. Cling to Faith. Being sure of what I hope for and certain of what I do not see. 


Besides, I don't think my brother would go for breaking and entering anymore.

www.facebook.com/shayholland

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shay - "discovered" your site through our mutual friend Maria's Facebook post. Clear & vivid visuals & questions you raise, with a powerful conclusion, "Being sure of what I hope for and certain of what I do not see..."

    Thanks for sharing this glimpse of your journey, and all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for that feedback, Dr. Ben. Maria is such a treasure, I'm glad you've had the opportunity to know her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I do vaguely remember this incidence of defiance! Although, the "breaking and entering" is not a part of my memory. I do recall us arriving fearfully back home...only to discover Mother was not even aware we had ever left...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha, bro! I love your comment. Don't you remember I took us to that big old building across the street from where the dinosaur skeleton was? I think it used to be one of the college's gyms. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete