Oct 21, 2014

Does God Care About Baseball?

Artwork:  Will Johnson
Yes. God cares about baseball.  Cares enough to show up at ballparks all the time. Answering prayers...often ones that have little to do with the game.

Not long ago I had an experience at AT&T Park like Ray in Field of Dreams.

A friend had convinced me to run the San Francisco half-marathon (the fact that I could run more than two blocks is a miracle in itself, story here).

I was excited to fulfill such a bold dream in the place I still call home; to run the streets where I'd lived; to run past AT&T Park where I would play hooky from work to watch the Giants.

The day of the race, a runner in front of me collapsed just as we ran alongside the stadium.  He didn't move. His chest lay flat, like there was no breath left in him.  Seconds seemed to be forevers.

"Stay with us, Eric!" his friends shouted, "Stay with us!"

I wanted to kneel next to him and breath air into his lungs but found only a silent prayer. God, please don't let him die!

There's a story in the Bible about this pool called Bethesda.  An angel would come stir the waters and divine healing would be released.

As the runner lay motionless, I glanced up at the glistening China Basin waters that flow along the ballpark's south walls.  And I saw the waters stir...

...I don't think that day was merely about a race.  Sometimes we're put in a place at a specific moment simply to whisper a prayer that changes things.

We just don't recognize life's most significant moments while they're happening.  Back then I thought, 'Well, there will be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day. ~ Field of Dreams

There outside the ballpark, I knew heaven had invited me into this moment; had entrusted me with the mystery of prayer. I felt His presence; a power greater than darkness or death. In that moment, I knew Eric would breathe again.

I also knew that I was supposed to finish the race. Yes, for myself - to celebrate the triumph of losing 50 pounds and restoring my health - but also for a stranger whose body failed him before he could cross the finish line.

Yes. God shows up at ballparks all the time.  Oh, I don't think He's betting on whether the Giants or Royals will win the World Series (that would hardly be fair!) but keep an eye on the waters...

They'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters.  ~ Field of Dreams


www.facebook.com/shayholland

No comments:

Post a Comment