Jun 9, 2013

Pt. 2: Keeping Up with the Kardashians - Behind the Scenes of My TV Pilot

E! photo
The pampered Hollywood lifestyle is about as far from my background as you can get. Raised on US military bases, we learned how to salute and survive in the wilderness; in Hollywood, it's all about appearance - like how to apply airbrushed makeup or cover the breasts in sheer tops (Band-aids. Really).

For someone who still prefers combat boots to high heels, I have to step out of my comfort zone when I'm working on camera.  As part of my Keeping Up with the Kardashians series, I take you behind the scenes to show what it's like shooting a TV show pilot.  

I'm on set all week with the team behind blockbuster films like Chronicles of Narnia, The Passion of the Christ and The Secret Life of Bees as they expand their film-making success into TV (in case you're wondering, a "pilot" is basically a test episode for TV decision-makers to see.  Most shows start as pilots before getting picked up as series). 

Like any woman, the Kardashians don't roll out of bed looking flawless.  But unlike most of us, they have a team of stylists at hand.  To me, that's one of the best parts of working on camera - so nice to have someone else take care of hair, makeup and wardrobe while you simply relax, talk or even nap!
In the makeup room
I did channel my inner Kim K. a few times, vetoing some choices like airbrushed foundation that masked my skin's natural brightness and hairstyles needing extra hold since hairspray breaks off my fine hair.

Another great thing: craft services. Who doesn't love a buffet? I arrived at my call time each morning and fueled up on scrambled eggs, fresh strawberries, pineapple, grapes and melon. 

I try to avoid gluten and sugar so stayed away from the sandwich and dessert trays (although I did sneak a brownie or two!).  My vice: drinking caffeinated soda for the long hours on set.

Of course, there are the less glam times on a production, like long wait times between segments for set and lighting adjustments. And deadline pressures and creative differences can lead to friction but fortunately our cast and crew got along well.
On set of the talk show pilot
We shot four pilot episodes over two days dishing on everything from sex to marriage to afterlife but we won't know the show's future for several months.  
--
Check out part 3 of my Kardashians series with tips on how to get a flawless face here.

www.facebook.com/shayholland


No comments:

Post a Comment