Mar 23, 2012

Home from Haiti!

 Samuel leaning on my shoulder. He was so sick from TB they thought he would die.  
We're back from Haiti!  Our time was filled with adventures - I witnessed everything from a cockfight to a circumcision! 

I fell in love more times than I can count. 

I held a dozen orphans in my arms like a mom, giggling with them as they chased bubbles and sang to us in Creole.

I fell asleep to the sound of tropical rainstorms and woke to crowing roosters (even in the middle of the night!). 

I hiked a mountain in Kafour to a place where the people embrace life despite not having running water or electricity.  

I rode a motorcycle to the market and bartered for our dinner. 

I worked alongside Haitian women who taught me how to carry a water bucket on my head the way they do.

I walked along an azure-colored ocean in a place that looked like paradise. 

I held the babies  I met who were abandoned in the earthquake but are now thriving at two-years-old. 

And I came home knowing I will return to Haiti.  Again...

I will post stories in a few days.

www.facebook.com/shayholland

No comments:

Post a Comment