Jul 28, 2011

Hollywood johns & egos


Reason #316 I'm grateful to live in our great country:  plumbers on call 24/7.  

My throne room flooded at midnight. "Turn da wata off!" the plumber instructed in response to my emergency call. No use. Niagara Falls kept flowing.  The plumber trekked out at 1 am.

Ironically, I'd just been reading about Hollywood johns, egos and the problems they cause. In his blog, The Hollywood Railroad,  my friend Karl writes about a $200,000 private bathroom that led to the downfall of a TV exec.


"I have seen this sort of deluxe doghouse/executive bathroom before not 60 feet from my news desk," Karl writes. "Not a six-figure model, but it did house a lot of...hand-lotion."

I think I know the one; worked at the same magazine. I vowed to keep quiet about industry secrets (until I'm paid to write a TV show) but for the record, this exec did keep a bizzare lotion stash - dozens of bottles lined in near-obsessive rows.


A perk of working at the magazine was tickets to red carpet events. The top exec would leave early to get ready but the rest of us often worked right up until show time.

That's when it paid to know the Guardian of the Executive Loo.  She'd slip us the key after the exec left so we could  use the shower in his office. As Karl said, this john wasn't a six figure model like the one at NBC, but it sure beat baby wipes.

And for the record, I never touched any of that lotion.


www.facebook.com/shayholland

No comments:

Post a Comment