Jun 30, 2011

4th of July

I've been thinking about someone I never got to meet...can't help but think about him around the 4th of July. 

...The newsroom burst to life with the frantic buzz that means one thing: breaking news. 

"Double team it!" shouted our news director. "Go live at 5:00!"

Speeding out of the station, we raced to the scene where several National Guard soldiers were missing - swept away in a creek.

We had only a few facts: a training drill. turbulent waters. a capsized boat. divers searching. 

My job was to get details to feed our more seasoned reporter who would give viewers live updates throughout the broadcast.

With air time about to hit, the lead reporter shoved the mic into my hand. 

"You take it," she said, "You're better at this."  

Even though I didn't have as much live shot experience, I think growing up as a military brat helped wire me for the intensity of breaking news - calm, clear-headed in chaos - stuff they can't teach you in journalism school.

"Divers search for four National Guard soldiers after their boat capsized..."

I don't remember my exact words to open the newscast but I still see the vivid contrasts of that summer day: brilliant sun rays piercing murky water. lush trees casting shadows over brittle grass. life/death. colliding.

"Guardsman who drowned was Sioux City sergeant," read the headlines. 

Divers had been able to save all but one of the soldiers. I still think of him around the 4th of July.  I'm sorry I didn't pray for you that day. Thank you for your sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment