Oct 19, 2010

The Road Less Traveled

"I took the one less traveled...and that has made all the difference." ~Robert Frost
Photo: Maria Peterson Photography
"Shay?" said a woman's voice on the phone. I knew what she was going to say before she said it. 

"Shay, he's gone." No one calls at 6:00 a.m. on a Saturday with good news. 

Not even when it's your birthday.

He'd taken the road less traveled hoping to save souls in San Francisco. He'd fed the homeless when their stench made it nearly impossible to be around them. He'd befriended the skateboard kids who came looking for food, and sometimes to steal money. He'd helped me settle in the city not knowing whether or not I was just another con artist trying to take advantage of his kindness.

He encouraged me to take the path less traveled, to follow a dream....a long shot by anyone's standards. Too old, too dark, too "thick" by Hollywood's standards. 


"Go," he said. "Pursue the adventure of God's calling."

"You're setting out to do something only God can accomplish," he wrote to me in an email as I headed to Hollywood in the spring of 2007. 

At times when the way seems impossible and I've grown weary, I get this picture of him cheering from heaven. "Go!" he shouts. "Follow the yearning in your heart!"

He left on my birthday but somehow I know he'll share with me in the fulfillment of an impossible dream.


www.facebook.com/shayholland

No comments:

Post a Comment