Aug 3, 2010

The One That Got Away

Ty Penning, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition." Photo:  Getty Images
Lately I've been thinking about the one that got awayNot a man.  The Dream Job.

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was holding an international search for a new designer. Some of you know my passion for architecture and design. I've studied the trade since writing an interior design newspaper column and eventually earned my General Contractor's license.


I decided to send the casting director my materials even though I'd be up again some of the most talented designers in the world. I was stunned to get called in to audition out of thousands of hopefuls. 

I drove to the studio early the day of the audition so that I'd have time to freshen up; make sure I didn't have toilet paper stuck to my shoe.  

The director conducted an interview-style audition, judging personality and skill. That type of tryout can be challenging since there is no scripted dialogue to help guide the audition but after years of ad-libbing breaking news live shots, I was in my element. 

I got a call-back.

Then the door suddenly closed.  The star host's arrest for DUI put the search on hold. Indefinitely. Ty Pennington quickly apologized with the show's future was in jeopardy. 

So that's the one that got away. And, like all first loves, you never forget.


www.facebook.com/shayholland

2 comments:

  1. Great work, Shay in the posted picture. So messed up when someone can't hold it together and jeopardizes others chances. I never knew-it's good you got that close! It surely will happen again and come to fruition. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, Karl, you inspired me to keep moving on this blog, thinking about adding a design one, too!

    ReplyDelete